World of Islands
Islands may not be big, but they are a huge part of the world we live in. Discover what island life is like for native islanders around the globe with this insightful island-focused edition of FACES Magazine. From the fundamentals and fascinating facts about islands to meeting the Maldives, FACES Magazine goes Island hopping and you are invited along for the ride.
Chock full of beautiful photographs, first-hand perspectives, and insightful articles, FACES Magazine introduces you and your young learners to islands around the world. You’ll get up close and personal with the exotic animal life of islands only few get to visit—and discover how some animals came to occupy islands where there is no reason they should exist! You’ll meet indigenous people who have never known life outside of islands, from Madagascar to Manhattan. With activities, games, letters, a play, and more, you and your kids will be island-savvy in no time.
Enjoy features including:
- What is an Island? by Christine Graf
- Galapagos Islands: Where Rare Wildlife Meets Scientific Discovery by Pat Betteley
- Madagascar: The One-of-a-Kind Island by Pat Betteley
- The Maldives and Their Fight Against Rising Seas by Colette Weil Parrinello
- Inspiration Island by Rebecca Szulhan
- Island Animal Encounters by Christine Graf
- Cold Islands Down Under by Marcia Amidon Lusted
- Deception Island by Marcia Amidon Lusted
- The Tree that Built New Zealand by Caren B. Stetson
- Juan Bobo Goes to Work retold by Pat Betteley
Regular features include High Five, At a Glance, Critter Corner, Where in the World, A Closer Look, Your Turn, Dear Kylie, Art Connection, Say What?, One Last Face, Contest, and a crossword puzzle.