Elections Around the World
You’ve likely started seeing signs or ads about the upcoming election, where citizens are encouraged to cast a vote for the next President of the United States. But how do other countries pick their leaders? This edition of FACES reveals how elections around the world work.
From ancient voting practices to the various ways people can choose to vote today, you’ll take a world tour of the election process. Starting with a break-down of how the American election process works—including that often confusing “Electoral College”—and taking a quick nature break to learn which animals vote (seven different kinds!), FACES then takes you to Europe, India, Africa, China, and more understand their political processes. You’ll also get up close and personal with a previous president and learn about student government (you can be president, too!)
Enjoy features including:
- Vote! From Marbles to Machines by Kerrily Sapet
- Voting Day around the World by Marcia Amidon Lusted
- Understand Your Rights by Annabel Wildrick
- Elections in India by Marcia Amidon Lusted
- Old Enough to Vote? by Adele Fasick
- The Carter Center: Traveling the World One Elections at a Time by Christine Graf
- A Dream Come True by Barbara Brown
- Demonstrations & Democracy by Kym Kettler-Paddock
- The Final King of Angkor Wat retold by Pat Bettele
Regular features include High Five, At a Glance, Critter Corner, Where in the World, A Closer Look, Your Turn, Dear Kylie, Art Connection, Say What?, One Last Face, Contest, and a crossword puzzle.