Great Cities of the World: Tokyo
Konnichiwa! Kick off this issue of FACES magazine with a captivating look at Japan! Onigiri, Osaka, Magna, maneki-neko, Samurai, Sumo -- kids can get to know Japan like never before.
There are cafes where you visit cats, hotels where you sleep in pods, vending machines for socks, and high-tech toilets with seats that heat up. It may sound like a science-fiction city of the future, but it’s totally Tokyo! From discovering why it takes ten years to build the perfect bento box to a fairy tale about the common raccoon-dog, Kids can get to know Japan through the food, art, entertainment, and people, to find out why this cutting edge country invites so much curiosity.
Enjoy features including:
- From Samurai to Skyscrapers: The History of Tokyo by Christine Graf
- Only in Tokyo by Christine Graf
- Bento Boxes and Japanese Laquerware by Colette Weil Parrinello
- Modern Marvels by Elisa Parhad
- A Visit to Fuji-san by Marcia Amidon Lusted
- Let’s Learn Japanese by Jeffrey Levick
- Sumo City by Christine Graf
- Maneki-Neko by Elisa Parhad
- Manga and Anime Mania by Colette Weil Parrinello
- How the Wicked Tanuki was Punished A Play Based on a Japanese Fairy Tale retold by Pat Betteley
Regular features include High Five, At a Glance, Critter Corner, Where in the World, A Closer Look, Your Turn, Dear Kylie, Art Connection, Say What?, One Last Face, Contest, and a crossword puzzle.