Around the World in 800 C.E.
800 is the magic number in this riveting edition of DIG magazine. Find out what was going on around the globe during this pivotal period of time. Plus, the big-wigs of 800 sported some pretty great hats.
One year, multiple countries, leaders, and cultural advancements, From Charlemagne to the Tang Empire to the Book of Kells, explore the year 800 from multiple perspectives. Kids can journey back in time and around the world to see what different countries were up to all during the same year, take part in a hands-on game putting them in the shoes of 800 C.E. traders, and travel along the Silk Road. Interspersed with charming folktales, engaging illustrations, and fun comparisons between then and now, you’ll find out fascinating facts around the engaging year 800.
Enjoy features including:
- Why 800? by Elizabeth ten Grotenhuis
- ‘Father of Europe’ by Diana Childress
- Spreading the Word by Diana Childress
- The Song of Roland by Diana Childress
- A Medieval Marvel by Gordon Grimwade
- The Great Caliph by Sona Hoisington
- Empress Irene by Theresa Earenfight
- A Lost Copper Mine by Deborah Klimburg-Salter
- Across to Japan by Elizabeth ten Grotenhuis
- Crunch! Munch! by Jennifer Dorsen
- Tales with ‘Legs’ by Louisa Kania
- Swords in the Year 800 by Merton C. Flemings
- Between the Oceans by Emily Abbink
- Yet To Come… by Gordon Grimwade
Regular features of DIG magazine include Five Facts, Map, Fun with Words, Interestingly, The Calliope Chronicles, Fast Forward, Tales It Is, Ask Away!, This & That, Off the Shelf/ On the Net, In the Headlines, The Adventures of Dr. Dig, and Artifacts.