Faces February 2018
Survey the soaring hills of Scotland in this sparkling issue of FACES magazine! Hogmanay, Harry Potter, kilts, Kelpies, Caledonians, and caber-tossing -- kids can get to know Scotland like never before.
From the Loch Ness to the Lowlands, find folklore, food, facts, and fiction that will provide insights about the culture, people, and history of a fascinating place: Scotland. Learn why it’s a kilt, not a skirt; tarten, not plaid; and that haggis may not deserve its bad reputation. While separating fact from fiction, kids can act out a famous folktale, peruse the diary of a puffin that spans five years, craft a castle, and create cookies.
Enjoy features including:
- Scotland: More Than Kilts and Bagpipes by Marcia Amidon Lusted
- Edinburgh: A Real Page-Turner by Rebecca Szulhan
- The Cuisine of Caledonia by Jennifer A. Buchet
- It’s Tartan, Not Just Plaid
- The Scottish Heritage of the World Famous Weave by Colette Weil Parrinello
- Scottish Sporting Inventions by Christine Graf
- Fact or Fiction? The Creatures of Scotland by Christine Graf
- Hogmanay by Marcia Amidon Lusted
- The Wee, Wee Mannie and the Big, Big Coo A Play Based on a Scottish Folktale retold by Pat Betteley
Regular features include High Five, At a Glance, Critter Corner, Where in the World, A Closer Look, Your Turn, Dear Kylie, Art Connection, Say What?, One Last Face, Contest, and a crossword puzzle.